- Though a precious few may be transacting in bitcoin, many big companies like Overstock, Microsoft, Dish, and Expedia., still offer to accept it.
- A spokesperson for Microsoft told Yahoo Finance that the company does not actually take possession of bitcoin directly but instead can use bitcoin via an exchange to add money (in U.S. dollars) to a customer’s Microsoft account.
- The company uses Coinbase’s instant exchange feature to convert all bitcoin transactions into U.S. dollars.
- Like Expedia, Dish (DISH) also uses Coinbase’s exchange feature to settle payments made in bitcoin into U.S. dollars for a “low, but steady” group of customers.
- With the exception of Overstock, these companies take a conservative angle with the cryptocurrency, which is unlikely to change unless bitcoin stabilizes and turns into a more usable and predictable currency.
Here’s how the biggest companies deal with bitcoin risk — avoid it for now. Except for one, which has doubled down.
Continue reading “Big bitcoin-friendly companies like Microsoft and Expedia hedge their bet”