- The S&P 500 technology index, a gauge of the leading US internet stocks, passed the record that had stood since March 2000.
- Seventeen years after the bubble burst, technology investors feel much of the promise of the internet that led to such outlandish valuations has finally been realised, albeit much later than they had thought.
- But at the same time, many fear that a new bubble is forming, involving another technology that has huge potential but may also be dramatically overhyped: the blockchain.
- Listen to one of its advocates and you will hear that the blockchain could be the most significant invention since that of the internet itself.
- It is best known as the technology that underpins the virtual currency Bitcoin, but its disciples believe its potential is far greater, and represents…
Last week, one of the final demons of the dotcom crash at the start of the 21st century was finally exorcised.
Continue reading “Initial coin offerings: Tech’s next bubble?”
- Blockchain startup Bancor closed a $150 million ICO raise this week — a landmark event, both in the speed and the magnitude of the raise.
- It’s trying to hit the blockchain domain at its very heart with the promise that it can enable smart tokens to serve as legitimate currency.
- Cryptocurrencies, or smart tokens, are new forms of digital currency (akin to bitcoin), that aim to serve as cash equivalents for various online services.
- Bancor wants to enable these tokens, based on their protocol, to be widely acceptable.
- These tokens need to be redeemable,
Blockchain startup Bancor closed a $150 million ICO raise this week — a landmark event, both in the speed and the magnitude of the raise. What is Bancor doing that got investors so excited? It’s trying to hit the blockchain domain at its very heart with the promise that it can enable smart tokens to serve as legitimate currency. Cryptocurrencies, or smart tokens, are new forms of digital currency (akin to bitcoin), that aim to serve as cash equivalents for various online services. Bancor wants to enable these tokens, based on their protocol, to be widely acceptable. For example, people will only confidently adopt cryptocurrencies when their exchange rates are stable. These tokens need to be redeemable,
Continue reading “Bancor’s blockbuster ICO and the risk of blockchain investing”
- This includes advice related to advancements of Bitt services, including the use of bitcoin and other digital currencies.
- Moreover, the Caribbean has been introduced to convenient bitcoin wallet services.
- PwC Partner Oliver Jordan commented on this MOU as follows:
“We have agreed to work alongside Bitt on future institutional blockchain technology implementations by, for example, central banks, commercial banks and government institutions throughout the region because not only does blockchain offer the promise of cost reduction and efficiency, but it could also enable revenue growth, and higher-quality service.
- Across the PwC Global network, we have already seen enormous potential for blockchain to deliver substantial value to financial services – and we intend to continue to lead the way across the financial services landscape in the Caribbean.”
- Additionally, there is tremendous potential for blockchain technology in the financial services industry.
The future of bitcoin is looking bright in Barbados right now. Bitt, a local fintech company, signed a memorandum of understanding with PwC. As a result, b
Continue reading “PwC And Bitt Partner Up To Improve Bitcoin and Blockchain Presence In The Caribbean ⋆ Epeak . Independent news and blogs”
- Uber CEO Travis Kalanick Stepping Down From Trump Economic Advisory Council
- Uber CEO Travis Kalanick is resigning from President Donald Trump’s economic advisory council, according to the company.
- The taxi drivers were striking in solidarity with the thousands of protesters gathered there to demonstrate against Trump’s immigration ban.
- “Immigration and openness to refugees is an important part of our country’s success and quite honestly to Uber’s,” he said. “
- Inside Out – The implicit assumption that Uber (or I) was somehow endorsing the Administration’s agenda has created a perception-reality gap between who people think we are, and who we actually are.
In a memo to employees, Kalanick said he didn’t want his presence to be seen as endorsing the president or his agenda.
Continue reading “Uber CEO Travis Kalanick Stepping Down From Trump Economic Advisory Council”
- “‘Keep America Great,’ exclamation point.”
- WATCH: Trump’s tweets can cost a company billions of dollars.
- Trump’s ready for 2020 with ‘Keep America Great’ slogan
- Trump’s ubiquitous “Make America Great Again” red baseball caps were one of the most lasting visual images of his unconventional campaign.
- Donald Trump hasn’t even taken the oath of office for his first term, but he’s already beginning to plot his re-election.
Donald Trump hasn’t even taken the oath of office yet for this first term but already is beginning to plot his re-election.
Continue reading “Donald Trump 2020 campaign ready with ‘Keep America Great’ slogan”