- The technology it runs on is called ethereum, which was first described by 19-year-old bitcoin programmer Vitalik Buterin in 2013.
- Buterin envisaged ethereum as an improvement on bitcoin.
- Like bitcoin, it is a decentralised payment network, with its own cryptograpic currency, that allows anonymous payments to be sent across the internet without the need for a bank or other third party.
- As the second-biggest cryptocurrency after bitcoin, ethereum has inevitably drawn comparisons to it.
- But advocates say ethereum has several advantages over bitcoin that make it more useful.
Ethereum is a rising star of the cryptocurrency world.
Continue reading “What is ethereum and how does it differ from bitcoin? “