- The bitcoin market tanked three times between 2011 and 2014, falling more than 50 percent each.
- The last time prices slipped came earlier this year after the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission denied a request by twin-brother entrepreneurs Tyler and Cameron Winklevoss to offer a bitcoin exchange-traded fund.
- Also helping bitcoin’s latest rise was the end of a four-month moratorium on digital money on Chinese exchanges.
- Talk of a U.S. government crackdown hasn’t helped bitcoin and its other digital brethren, like ripple and manero.
- Also hurting bitcoin was an outage Monday on the digital currency exchange Coinbase because of high trading volume.
Volatile cryptocurrency has lost almost a third of its value recently, despite increasing acceptance
Continue reading “Surging bitcoin gets tarnished, dropping 19% in a day”