- As far as online scams designed to steal money and information go, a site called darknetmarkets.org is very impressive and equally scary—not least because Google is currently serving it as a top search result for Bitcoin for all intents and purposes, is a “real” website.
- A sidebar contains links to the “top” sites to buy drugs on the darknet.
- CompariTech, a site that reviews and compares information security products, spotted the scam first and wrote up a blog post laying out their findings on Wednesday.
- Motherboard independently verified that several links on the site take users to sites that appear legitimate but have different URLs than the real versions and are stylistically out of date.
- Munson speculated that the site may be getting linked to by legitimate sites that don’t realize it’s a phishing scam, which may lead to the site being valued by Google’s search algorithm.
“This is probably the best phishing scam I’ve ever seen.”
Continue reading “An Elaborate Darknet Phishing Scam Is the Top Google Result for Basic Bitcoin Tutorials”