- Right now, just one of those three vaccines will be progressing to clinical trials.
- The urgency for a vaccine to protect against Zika infection has intensified as the virus spreads rapidly across Latin America and the Caribbean.
- All three of the vaccines were found to be safe and protected the monkeys against infection with the virus, according to the report published in Science.
- The vaccine – dubbed ZPIV for purified inactivated Zika virus – uses a more traditional vaccine approach and depends on dead virus particles.
- Zika virus is most dangerous to pregnant women, because it can cause severe birth defects in babies if they are infected in the womb.
Read the full article, click here.
@CMichaelGibson: “‘Striking’ Results from Early Zika Vaccine Trial – NBC News”
The race to develop a safe and effective vaccine against the Zika virus got one step closer Thursday.
‘Striking’ Results from Early Zika Vaccine Trial