- Kidnapping was common in Brazil a decade ago, with Sao Paulo seeing an abduction every 27 hours in 2002, but declined after police formed a special anti-kidnap division and cracked down.
- The mother-in-law of Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone has been kidnapped in Brazil with criminals demanding a ransom of $36.5m (£28m), reports say.
- Mr Ecclestone has not commented on the reports.
- Mr Ecclestone, 85, is one of the most powerful men in sport and is worth an estimated $3.1bn (£2.4bn).
- The country, due to host the Olympic Games in less than two weeks, is experiencing its worst economic crisis for decades.
Read the full article, click here.
@dgwbirch: “Let’s see. The kidnappers want a) Bitcoin, b) Prepaid cards or c) flipping great wodges of cash?”
The mother-in-law of Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone is kidnapped in Brazil with criminals demanding a ransom of $36.5m (£28m), reports say.
F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone’s mother-in-law ‘kidnapped in Sao Paulo’