- The government has quietly launched a bold experiment using the technology behind the virtual currency Bitcoin – and, if anybody notices, it could prove hugely controversial.
- Image copyright Thinkstock Image caption The government says it will not use the app to keep a record of who spent what
- One recently departed member of the Government Digital Service told me of his amazement that this trial was being allowed to go ahead.
- But the worry now is that if the first trials go down the wrong path, then public trust in the technology could be irredeemably damaged.
- But the news sounded alarm bells amongst some of those who have been involved in framing the government’s technology policies.
Read the full article, click here.
@BarryNewWave: “Blockchain and benefits – a dangerous mix? – BBC News”
The UK government faces controversy over an app that tracks how benefit claimants spend their money.
Blockchain and benefits