- Original story: A retiree in Toronto was unhappy with the length of time the city was taking to build a flight of stairs on a precarious slope.
- Adi Astl, with the help of a homeless man he hired, built eight steps for $550, more than 100 times cheaper than the $65,000-$150,000 the city had estimated for the job.
- Astl told CNN affiliate CTV News that members of his gardening group thanked him for building the stairs.
- While the flight of stairs has been a welcome addition for the community in Tom Riley Park, the city is now threatening to tear down the stairway because it was not built according to the city’s regulations.
- The city insisted that Astl should not have bypassed the legal steps and should have waited for city officials to handle the problem.
(CNN) Update: The stairs are gone! On Friday morning, a group of workers descended upon the staircase and dismantled it with power tools. According to a local Toronto radio station, the city decided the stairs were unsafe and had them removed.
Continue reading “Toronto says steps will cost $65,000-$150,000; man builds them for $550”
- According to a post by Parity founder Gavin Wood in the official chat channel for Parity, an ethereum client, a “critical” vulnerability in Parity led to at least three accounts being compromised by a hacker for a total loss of $31,725,019 USD worth of ether.
- Specifically, Wood wrote, the vulnerability affected the contract used to create multi-signature ethereum wallets in Parity 1.5, the latest release.
- There are ongoing efforts to secure funds in other potentially vulnerable wallets, Wood wrote, but those folks “will make an announcement in their own time.”
- In other words, there may be other wallets affected by the hack than the three cited by Wood, but it’s not yet clear which were cleaned out by thieves, and which had their funds funneled out by good-guy hackers who may return them later.
- As for a fix, Wood wrote in the Parity chat that the team will be releasing a fix “ASAP,” but in the meantime advised users with multi-signature wallets created with Parity to move their funds to a secure address.
It’s the second alleged hack this week.
Continue reading “‘THIS IS NOT A DRILL:’ A Hacker Allegedly Stole $32 Million in Ethereum”
- Image copyright
A unit of the digital cryptocurrency Bitcoin has exceeded the value of an ounce of gold for the first time.It closed at $1,268 on Thursday while a troy ounce of gold stood at $1,233.
- The value of Bitcoin has been volatile since it was first launched in 2009, and many experts have questioned whether the crypto-currency will last.Earlier this year, Chinese authorities cracked down on Bitcoin trading in an attempt to stop money flowing out of the country illegally.But the closer scrutiny from Beijing only briefly sent the currency lower.
- Yet like all currencies its value is determined by how much people are willing to exchange it for.To process Bitcoin transactions, a procedure called “mining” must take place, which involves a computer solving a difficult mathematical problem with a 64-digit solution.
- Image copyright
Verifying bitcoin transactions takes a lot of computer power
For each problem solved, one block of Bitcoins is processed.
- In addition the miner is rewarded with new Bitcoins.To compensate for the growing power of computer chips, the difficulty of the puzzles is adjusted to ensure a steady stream of new Bitcoins are produced each day.
Demand for the digital cryptocurrency has soared since the beginning of the year.
Continue reading “Bitcoin value tops gold for first time”
As with all major paradigm shifts, there will be winners and losers. But if we do this right, blockchain technology can usher in a halcyon age of …
Continue reading “Blockchain Will Disrupt Every Industry”
- Bitcoin traded near its all-time high price late on Thursday after the intense debate over the cryptocurrency’s future appears to be heading to a positive end.
- The price of bitcoin hit a high of $2,948.51 on Thursday evening, just shy of the record high $3,025.47 reached on June 11, according to data from CoinDesk.
- While the price pulled back over the next couple of hours, it is significantly higher than the $2,294.40 handle it began trading at on Thursday morning.
- Bitcoin has taken a hit in recent days because of the uncertainty over its future.
Some in the bitcoin space said there are more hurdles to jump over yet in the scaling debate.
Continue reading “Bitcoin nears record high after a ‘milestone’ in the fierce debate over its future”
- Gigi Hadid stepped out Wednesday night in New York City in dark gray matte lipstick.
- Robert Kamau via Getty Images
Gigi Hadid seen out in Manhattan on July 19.
- The supermodel clearly likes pairing her pajamas with heels:
Ray Tamarra via Getty Images
Gigi Hadid leaves a Noho hotel on April 13 in New York City.
- Robert Kamau via Getty Images
In Manhattan on June 10.
- Tal Rubin via Getty Images
On June 27 in New York.
When you need to match your nails no matter what.
Continue reading “Gigi Hadid Rocks Gray Lipstick Like It’s No Big Deal”
- Investing.com – Bitcoin remained at highs on Thursday, as sentiment spiked higher following growing expectations that a key proposal aimed at improving Bitcoin’s scaling capability would garner enough support, averting a potential split in the digital currency.
- On the U.S.-based GDAX exchange, Bitcoin rose to $2,659.0, up $400.9 or 17.86%, making up recent losses, after data on Monday showed 80% of Bitcoin’s mining power, including AntPool, BitClub, Bixin, BTC.com and BitFury, have signaled support for proposal Segwit2x, which would allow the bitcoin network to scale more efficiently.
- Ethereum followed bitcoin’s move higher, rising to $225.41, up 8.89%.
- Despite the recent rally, following its collapse to $130.26 on Sunday, Ethereum remained well below its all-time high of $419.3.
- The dip in Ethereum from its all-time high has seen its market capitalization fall to $20 billion, well below bitcoin’s $43 billion, reducing investor expectations that Ethereum would be the alternative digital currency that usurps bitcoin as the best capitalized cryptocurrency.
Investing.com – Bitcoin remained at highs on Thursday, as sentiment spiked higher following growing expectations that a key proposal aimed at improving Bitcoin’s scaling capability would garner enough support, averting a potential split in the digital currency.
Continue reading “Bitcoin at highs as fears over potential split ease”